Deadline: February 14, 2022
Posted: January 14, 2022
Job Description / Duties
Work with the physicians and other Allied Health Professionals of the BWFHT to treat patients in a variety of ways including the use of braces, casts, shields, orthotic devices, physical therapy or surgery. The primary focus of the Chiropodist will be to work to help patients eliminate foot pain, gain mobility and maintain healthy feet. The chiropodist is part of the clinic’s Diabetes chronic disease management program.
ASSESSMENT AND EVALUATION:
• Complete health assessment through information gathering, lower extremity physical examination, patient health history and relevant clinical findings
• Evaluation of overall lower extremity foot and ankle function relating to activities of daily living
• Examination and review of lab tests, diagnostic tests and consulting medical and surgical notes
• Assessment of the impact of an injury, disability or disease (rheumatoid arthritis/diabetes/sprains/strains) on foot function
• Educate and advise patients about the prevention and care of morbid conditions relating to chronic diseases like diabetes, HIV, etc.
• Ensure continuity of patient care through exchange of information and communication with the patient, family members, and other service providers who ma be involved with the patient
• Work as part of an interdisciplinary team, making referrals ad providing supports to patients of BYWARD FHT
• Build relationships with various community partners
• Act as a resource for the team in assessing other social agencies and supports
• Receive referrals from medical and other healthcare practitioners and consult with these referring practitioners to provide timely and optimal care for their patients
• Maintain program statistics for purposes of evaluation and research
• Complete and maintain all necessary documentation as per act and professional standards
• Secure resources by preparing reports, competing application forms/letters as required
Staff is expected to work in a professional manner, demonstrating above average qualities such as courtesy, tact, and judgment with respect to patients, fellow colleagues, and professionals. All staff is expected to work in parallel with the company’s confidentiality agreement. As a member of our team, you are responsible for bringing issues that affect the smooth operation of the company, to the attention of your immediate supervisor. It is your responsibility to be up to date with all company memo’s/emails.
The incumbent to this position is to practice within the scope and according to the standards of practice as outlined in the following documents:
• Occupational Health and Safety Act (1990)
• The Chiropody Act (1991)
• Ministry of Health Family Health Team Guidelines
• ByWard Family Health Team Policies and Procedures (2021)
• Ontario Partners in Health (OPiH) Policies and Procedures (2021)
Internally: Successful and effective relations with the Administration Team, Support Staff, Allied Health Professionals, Physicians, and other departmental employees.
Externally: Successful and effective relations with patients, community partners, Chiropody community of practice and other clients that present themselves via telephone, in writing or in person.
Qualifications / Required Skills
• University Degree or College Diploma of advanced Chiropody or equivalent
• Member in good standing with College of Chiropodists of Ontario
• Bilingual (French and English)
• A minimum of two years experience in a community and/or primary health care setting
• Computer literacy: MS Word, Outlook, Excel, Presentation software, EMR and Internet
Jee Leung, Executive Director
The ByWard Family Health Team (BWFHT) has a mission to inspire and support the health and well-being of the individuals and communities we serve. Our primary care clinic provides a patient centered interdisciplinary health care team which delivers prevention, early identification, treatment, care, and support for acute and chronic disease management in an environment that is open and transparent to social, ethnic, or income factors.