Locum Chiropodist in Vaughan - Posted Jan 3 2019Locum Chiropodist
Contract ($40.66 per hour)
January to March 2019
The Vaughan Community Health Centre (VCHC) is a not-for-profit, community-governed organization providing primary health care, social services, and illness prevention programs primarily to the residents of the City of Vaughan. In particular, we serve those people experiencing barriers to accessing health care services due to culture, language, age, chronic illness, or the like. As part of the health promotion framework of our services, we work in partnership with other community-based health and social service organizations to address individual, family, and community needs.
POSITION SUMMARY:Under the supervision of the Chronic Disease Prevention and Management Program (CDPMP) Coordinator, the Chiropodist works as part of a multi-disciplinary team to provide complete foot care services within the scope of his/her license. The care modality emphasizes health promotion and client education. The Chiropody position implies possession of the full license to perform every one of the functions outlined below.
RESPONSIBILITIES:• Perform clinical duties by assessing clients for routine foot health and illness care, treating and preventing disease, dysfunction or disorders of the foot by therapeutic, surgical, palliative or orthotic means, as well as prescribing medications within the scope of the license. The performance of surgical procedures includes the injection of prescribed medications.
• Use a variety of teaching methods and principles of adult education to assist clients to gain the knowledge, skills and confidence to self-manage their overall health, chronic health condition(s), and foot care to prevent complications, taking into consideration, cultural background and the social determinants of health.
• Ensure appropriate, comprehensive treatment is delivered by maintaining complete and accurate clinical records, answering client enquiries and directing clients to or providing appropriate treatment.
• Ensure chiropody areas and equipment are maintained according to infection control policies. Maintain a sufficient supply of resources and materials.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS• Graduate of an accredited school of Chiropody or Podiatry;
• Current registration and member in good standing with the College of Chiropodists of Ontario;
• Thorough knowledge of and proficiency in the underlying theory and practical application of chiropody;
• Three to five years’ experience in a community-based and/or hospital setting;
• Experience working with an Electronic Medical Record (EMR);
• Demonstrated ability to provide all aspects of foot care to clients with diabetes is essential;
• Experience in utilizing offloading devices for clients with diabetic foot ulcers;
• Ability to recognize client conditions beyond the scope of chiropody and refer client to appropriate health discipline as required;
• Demonstrated ability to provide foot care education to other disciplines within the healthcare team;
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment;
• Demonstrated commitment to, and knowledge of, community-based health care and resources;
• Proficiency and experience working in a computerized environment;
• Ability to communicate in a second language relevant to catchment area populations is an asset.
The position will involve working regular office hours, a minimum of one evening per week and occasional weekends, as needed.
Successful candidates must undergo a Vulnerable Sector Screening check to the satisfaction of the Vaughan Community Health Centre.
Please send your cover letter and resume by January 10th, 2019 at 5p.m. to:
Chiropodist Hiring Committee
c/o Vaughan Community Health Centre
9401 Jane Street, Suite 206
Vaughan, Ontario L6A 4H7
Fax: (905) 832-0093
While applications are preferred via email, you are welcome to apply by fax, mail or in person.
Accommodations during the recruitment, selection, and interview processes will be provided in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code if needed. If you need accommodation during the hiring process, please call us at 905 303 8490 ext.182 to provide your contact information and a member from the Hiring Committee will contact you.
Vaughan Community Health Centre is an equal opportunity employer and encourages resumes from people who are reflective of the diverse communities we serve. We are committed to excellence and hire based on merit.
We thank all candidates in advance for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.